Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Freedom

Look what I bought this week:Freedom! Freedom to go to the mall, freedom to go outside for a walk, freedom to go anywhere! Finally. Before I had to go somewhere with a shopping cart in order to be mobile and have Jacob coralled. Yeah, I went to the mall by myself with the 2 kids...once. I had Jacob in the stoller and Ryan strapped to my chest. And it was a total nightmare. I waited to buy a double stroller until Ryan was old enough to sit up so we didn't have to buy a new infant seat because our stupid Britax Companion infant seat isn't compatible with anything. Mark and I have a very, very strong hatred towards our Britax infant seat and stroller travel system that we bought when Jacob was born. I bought it because it had the highest safety rating. What they forgot to mention is: the infant seat is heavier than others and the squeeze handle is hard to use so I cuss every time I lift it out of the car or stroller. The stroller has no parent or child cup holders or snack trays, and perhaps one of the most annoying stroller feature is that it's handles are too short for us tall people, resulting in an aching lower back and a few choice words said by Mark. Oh, and the infant seat doesn't fit in the front part of a shopping cart (like most others do), so you have to place the baby in the main basket area leaving virtually no room for groceries or diapers. And when you are at a restaurant and they bring you an upside down high chair to place your infant seat in? Forget it. That stupid Britax handle is too wide to fit in there so you have to take up your whole booth with your infant seat (if it fits) or place the poor baby on the floor. I could go on and on. Give me a Graco anyday. Or a Baby Trend, you can find it at Target!

3 comments:

TJ said...

Yeah! Oh, we HATE short strollers! Why, oh, why do they think the world is 5' 2"? Those stroller extensions suck, too.

We have a jogging stroller which is tall, but it isn't exactly compact. It takes up the whole trunk.

I bought a MacClaren umbrella after dorking around with short ones. Totally worth the $100... for an umbrella! It could be an inch or two higher, but it's managable. I recommend it when you get to the one, "quick and easy stroller" point in life. That is where we are. Pearl just needs a stroller if we do the zoo, etc. It goes to 45 lbs.

Awake said...

I swear that car seat/stroller buying should have its own college course! Glad you found a double you like.

We have a jogger double I'm somewhat excited to use this summer once Cooper can sit up better and a sit and stand double that i don't know how often we'll use. Our neighborhood sidewalks are not smooth so I don't know how they'll actually work. For now, I've just been putting Charlotte in her single stroller and wearing Cooper on my chest.

Your house progress looks awesome! I bet you're just itching to get in!
~Autumn

Michelle {bsktgirl} said...

Yeah for freedom!