It's been a week since my cake decorating class, so I thought it was time for attempt #2. I searched Martha Stewart's website for cake and buttercream recipes and stumbled upon this Lion Cake. In the absence of a holiday theme this week, I thought I would give it a whirl. Besides, Jacob loved it. He took a picture of me decorating it:
Here he is! Raar. We have become friends. 
He is made of two layers of delicious chocolate cake and...are you ready?...
caramel buttercream icing. Can't wait to cut in to him! Actually I can. He was very time consuming! I think making the icing took longer than the cake! I learned a lot, too. I learned that almost full 8 inch round cake pans=one hell of a mess in the oven! Luckily for me, his nose required me to make a cupcake (see picture below for his elevated nose). I had the single cupcake baking in my muffin pan under the two cake pans, so it caught most of my runover. I also learned to remember to remove your parchment paper from under the cake before you pipe on your border! Rookie mistake, I was so engrossed in decorating that I forgot to remove my paper. So I had to tuck it under my cake board, thereby messing up my border. Oh well. He was fun to make!


2 comments:
It kind of reminds me of me trying to prepare for sewing. I got a sewing machine for my birthday and I just bought some stuff tonight to practice. I might call you for pointers. :)
So Cute!! It looks great! I have always wanted to take a cake decorating class!
Post a Comment