Baked Tomatoes and Zucchini
from Williams-Sonoma.com
2 Tbs olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3/4 lb plum tomatoes, sliced
2 small zucchini, about 3/4 lb total, sliced
1 Tbs minced fresh basil
1 Tbs minced fresh marjoram
1/4 cup water or chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter or oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
In a fry pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and saute slowly until very soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer the onion slices to the prepared baking dish, spreading them evenly over the bottom. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the tomato slices and zucchini slices over the onion in alternate rows. Sprinkle with the basil and marjoram and season with salt and pepper. Pour the water evenly over the vegetables.
Cover and bake until the vegetables are bubbling and tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover and serve hot directly from the dish. Serves 4-6.
~~~
I absolutely love this dish. I had fresh roma tomatoes, zucchini and basil out of my garden to make this with so that makes it even better! Fresh basil is the key here, as in any recipe calling for fresh basil. Dried basil is no substitute! I will post a few more recipes that include seasonal fresh garden produce.
This has absolutely no place on a recipe post, but I have to tell you that I had a beautiful zucchini plant and cucumber vines that were already producing many fruits, then sadly they quickly whithered (rotted) away due to squash vine borers. Nasty little guys. I did get 1 good cucumber and 3 good zucchinis before disaster hit the vines. About the same time the Japanese beetles hit my basil: I have declared war.

1 comment:
Looks good - do your kids eat it? Daren wanted to try a garden this year, but I axed it with the baby.
Post a Comment